UAB is moving to Canvas, a new Learning Management System, which is launching in Fall 2014. We're excited about the transition and would like to provide a few tutorials about exporting your course content from Blackboard and preparing that content for import into Canvas.
We've also made a video detailing exporting content from Blackboard for Mac users that can be viewed here.
Blackboard Content Export for Windows Users
- Login to Blackboard
Select the course you'd like to export from the "My courses" section.
Note: It's possible that not all of your courses are listed in the section. In order to see all of your courses and select which ones are listed in the "My Courses" section, simply select the gear icon in the top right-hand corner of the section. You should now be on the Personalize: My Courses page. Here you can select any course that isn't listed on the "My Courses" section on the home screen and add it to the section. To do so, just click the "Select all" checkbox next to the course, scroll to the top of the screen, and click submit. Your course should now be added to the "My Courses" section on the home page.
- Click on the course that you'd like to export content from.
- Once the course dashboard has loaded, scroll down to the bottom left-hand corner, and click on the "Content Collection" menu.
- The menu should drop-down. From there, click on the first item on the menu, which should be the title of your course, ex: Sp.2013_1_.CM.493.2B.35093 You should now be in the course content page, where all of the files you have uploaded into the course are listed.
- Once the page loads, you'll see the files that you have uploaded into your course. If you have a large amount of files uploaded, it's possible that you may have several pages of files. To make sure you download all of your files, scroll down to the bottom right-hand corner, and click the "Show All" button.
- The page will reload, and now you are ready to download your files. Simply click the checkbox in the top left-hand corner of the file browser (right next to the words "File Type") and once all of the files are highlighted in yellow, click "Download Package".
- Your browser should indicate that a download has begun. Depending on the amount of files in your course, your wait time may be anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes. Once the download has finished it will be located in your downloads folder (typically located in your "home" folder).
- Navigate to the folder and you'll see a folder with a zipper over it. You'll need to extract the files, so right-click on the folder and click "Extract All". You'll then be asked where you want to save the files to, so enter or select that location there, and click "Extract". Your files are now downloaded and can be uploaded into Canvas.